Wednesday, July 18, 2007

That's Waco For You

I happened upon an article in the Trib about the SWAT team setting up shop in the 12th street HEB parking lot. Apparently a murder suspect out of Dallas who may have had an AK-47 was thought to be in one of the apartments in the immediate area. This HEB has always fascinated me. I think I could squeeze an article or two, if not a dissertation out of it. It is full of Baylor kids and is boxed in my two crappy projects within walking distance. If one was so inclined and I have been, you can set up shop outside this store sipping 25 cent Dr. B and observe some of the broadest demographics imaginable. It is also the smallest HEB I have ever seen and certainly percentage wise, the grocery store with the most space dedicated to alcohol. The reason I bring it up is the article mentioned interviewing several Baylor students about the incident. Four words uttered by Baylor student Michael Thomas summed it up:

That’s Waco for you.


Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at <span class=

The known world to the BearMeat Editors.

It's not like this couldn't or doesn't happened elsewhere all the time. The thing that strikes me and has always fascinated me is in this small Texas city a collective consciousness has taken over long time residents and people just visiting for few years like most Baylor students. Anything is possible. No matter how crazy a fact pattern may appear to the average observer, in Waco it can easily be explained away by, "That's Waco for you."

"I just saw a pack of 15 dogs swim across the Brazos and eat a horse."
"That's Waco for you."

"I was at a party on Washington Avenue and the sheriff walked in with a bag off blow, did a couple of bumps, and set himself on fire."
"That's Waco for you."

"I was driving down New Road last night and without making a turn I ended up on Lakeshore Drive and I swear, I was sober, the road dead ended in Lake Waco. There wasn't a sign or warning or anything, the road just kept going and it looked like it was designed to just end in the lake, on purpose."
"That's Waco for you."

It makes me wonder what could happen in Waco that would really make people say, "That's crazy" or "In Waco, no way"?

Judge Baylor, Emperor Editor and Oppressor of the Poor

Labels:

4 Comments:

  • Carried over from original post:

    Setting your mom on fire? That's Waco for you.

    By avacadojer, at 1:56 PM

    Hah! Well-played, Avacado.

    By Red Andrews, at 4:41 PM

    By Blogger Judge Baylor, at 10:46 PM  

  • Dead co-eds in portajohns...washed up R&B stars huffing freon...some guy felching bones from open graves...

    And that's just in the past couple months.

    By Blogger bluearmadillo, at 12:47 PM  

  • "An attractive female saying something intelligent without an intent of financial gain? In Waco, no way."

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:44 AM  

  • I've always used the phrase "Welcome to Waco" which is about the same thing as "That's Waco for you."

    I was meeting my brother and dad for dinner at El Conquistador's before a football game. We arrive and as we're going inside, some drunk redneck staggers out the front door nearly running over us as he hacks like he's about to cough up a hairball.

    My brother looks at me and said "Welcome to Waco."

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home